I am still "penniless and pianoless", so any help you can give is appreciated beyond measure. Thank you for being such good people.
And yes, I will be returning to jazz and creative improvisational music — making records, performing, writing and playing the music I love. None of us gets out of here alive, so we must do what we can and be who we are!
Bless you all for your patience, your love, and your support! (ps i still need help!) — JW Mar 21 2017
- Jessica Williams, born March 17, 1948, Balitmore Maryland.
- Headliner at The Kennedy Center, Dutch North Sea Festival, Norway Molde Festival, plus major fesitivals and concert halls in Bern, Tokyo, NYC, South Korea, London — more
- She holds a Fellowship with the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation — more
- Graduate of The Johns Hopkins Peabody Conservatory of Music
- She has released over 80 CDs and LPs, and written over 1000 compositions — more
- She has received four grants from the National Endowment for the Arts; a Rockefeller Grant for composing; the Alice B. Toklas Grant for Women Composers, the 2016 ASCAP Award — more
- "One of the greatest pianists I have ever heard." - Dave Brubeck
- "Jessica is a beautiful player." - McCoy Tyner
- "The most important pianist to arrive since Bill Evans." - Alun Morgan, Gramophone — more
- "She has the rare ability to draw listeners into her private musical world and hold them there, enthralled." -Dave Gelly, The London Observer
- "Jessica is a powerful virtuoso, a brilliant solo player, and a 'giant of music', consistently brilliant." - Scott Yanow, The All Music Guide
- "Nothing short of brilliant." - Sidney Bechet-Mandela, JazzUSA
- "A vibrant force on the contemporary music scene." - Rolling Stone
- "In a word, she's a monster. Her technical mastery is equaled by her swing; her power matched by her dexterity." - Geraldine Wyckoff, Downbeat
- "Her style and technique embrace a very original combination of wit, grace, introspection and white heat." - Harvey Siders, JazzTimes
- "She is simply a pianistic force of nature that will not be denied." - C. Michael Bailey, All About Jazz
- "I will say on record that I think she is the finest pianist of our time. And her records are, bar none, the most consistently immaculate and for your hard-earned dollars, a Jessica Williams album is a no-brainer" - Fred Jung, All About Jazz
- "Jessica is utterly magnificent . . . the most poetic of all living jazz pianists." - Jeff Simon, The Buffalo News
- "This is easy. Jessica Williams doesn't make bad records." - JazzNow, Lawrence Brazier
Jessica's back was broken in 2012, after over 50 years as a world-renowned pianist. Her three-level lumbar fusion with rods and screws was a relative success. She lost her piano and all of her savings, but she now is slowly getting better, writing new music, and starting to seek new forms of musical expression. Please donate HERE for her piano and spinal recovery fund. For her music, please buy it from her HERE because otherwise she recieves no money at all for her work, as it was all stolen, corporatized, and censored.
Site updated Mar 17th, 2017
Happy Birthday, Jessica!